background

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

January Challenge

Hello. Welcome to February! I can't believe how quickly time is flying by. I am hoping to put a lot more time into crafting when my term position is done in two weeks.

Meanwhile, here is my entry for Canadian Scrapbooker's Sketchy Challenge in January. Of course, I was crazy busy with report cards, etc. and left it until the last minute. I like how it turned out. It was the first layout I had done in awhile. The picture doesn't do it justice.

I started out with a base of CLTM card stock in Colonial White. I decided to use my Pearl paint (water down) in my spray pen. It gave a pretty speckled sheen which you can't see in the pictures. The only downfall as I said was that I did the whole sheet and didn't give it time to be flattened. The darker blue paper with the brown damask on it was from Harmonie. Canadian Scrapbooker likes there to be a Canadian company represented on the challenges and so I borrowed this paper from my friend Tasha at Wild at Heart Studio. It's a lot of fun when we can get together to scrap. The rest of the paper was from CTMH Wonderland Level 2 paper pack. It is full of beautiful paper and the blues, chocolate and grays really complemented the family sledding pictures that I used.



My daughter took a look at the picture and thought that I had had finally tried some sewing, but I didn't! The secret to this silver stitched look comes from Dollarama. I had bought some silver mesh on a roll at Christmas to use for decoration. I cut some of it out for the "stitching" and for the circle. The metallic looked neat and gave it a bit of a modern feel.



I used my Cricut and cut out the title from Geographically Speaking at 3.5 inches. I cut it in Chocolate and then in printed paper from the Wonderland Level 2 paper pack. I offset them to make it look shadowed, and added a few gems for sparkle.



I must admit that I pulled out my old circle cutters from CM to cut the circles for my snowman and then I "messed up" the edges a bit so they wouldn't look perfect. I covered the circles with Liquid Applique and used my heat tool. This gave it a snowy textured look. I used mini brads for the eyes and scraps to make the top hat and carrot nose. I thought he turned out cute.

The snowflakes randomly placed on the page were cut out of Gemstone Recollections paper using my Art Philosophy cartridge. I also used some as stencils and sponged Crystal blue ink over them to get a different effect. I also was wanted to cover-up my printing which was a bit messy so I made a door and embellished it with a snowflake that I cut and sponged and embellished with a sparkly brad (CTMH).

Overall, I was very happy with the results and managed to get it posted on the very last night in January. Never say never! This month, I will try to be a little more timely so that I'm not rushing.

Have fun scrapping your "winter blues" away. I did!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment