Sunday, November 14, 2010

New paper and an embossing tryout!

I was in Dollar Giant and picked up some packages of patterned paper. There are 10 sheets to a pack, and they are a fairly good quality paper considering they only cost 1.25! I made 2 more Thank You cards using this paper and card stock which I had gotten at Michael's in a multi-coloured pack. The card stock was 81/2 x 11 so I cut it in half (hamburger style for fellow teachers) and made 2 cards that are A2 size out of the one piece. For these two cards, I chose a chocolate brown as my base card.

Card #1

I chose a beautiful apple green paper for this card. The solid green rectangle was a scrap leftover from making an envelope. The ribbon is from Dots and Dashes and the button is from a package that I picked out of a dollar bin at Michael's. Instead of making a bow, I wrapped a strip around the top to layers (green on white) and tied a second piece to it. It is my fake bow! I did this because I already new that I wanted to add the button. I layered this piece onto a brown piece to hide the ribbon ends. Then I used dimensionals to adhere it to the front of my card which has a layer of green patterned paper. A simple brown stamp on the front was all that was required.

The inside is finished with a strip of the patterned green and a slightly wider strip of the solid green. This gives me a place to write as the brown is too dark. I think it gives the cards a much more polished look.

Card # 2
This card was meant to be folded the same as the other card, but since this was my first day at using my Martha Stewart scoreboard, it didn't turn out that way. When I went to score my fold-line, I made a mistake and scored it at 4" instead of 4 1/4". So I looked at it and decided I didn't want to waste it. This became my challenge card for the day. What I decided to do was to make the front flap of the card shorter (since it already was) than the back. I cut more of it off so that an inch of the inside of the card shows.

The printed paper layers are from my dollar finds and I had some scraps of the same chocolate brown that I used as alternate layers. The narrow brown strip across the middle of the card was the one that I had cut off the front. I used white ink from Close to My Heart to stamp the sentiment and used my clear embossing powder and heat tool (also from Close to My Heart) for the first time! It added a little sheen to the sentiment. I think I want to get a some sparkles or something to add into the powder to give it even more of a glint.

The inside of the card has a strip that I cut off of a 12 x 12 piece of paper. I thought it looked like a border and would be perfect for the visible part of the card. I then added a simple white rectangle for writing on.

I hope you like these cards. I am very happy with them and I have only to make one more thank you and then I can start my Christmas cards! Yippee!!!


  1. Cute! I like the fact that the front of the brown one is shorter than the back, it's neat!

  2. Thanks! I am really glad that you like that one. :-)