I finally started my Thank You cards for the wedding gifts. As this was not a first wedding for either of us and many of our guests had to travel, we had indicated that their presence at our wedding was the only present we needed. We are thankful that those who could made it, despite the bad weather. Nothing like having an outdoors wedding when it is cold and rainy! So I thought that those who did bestow gifts on us should be treated to a handmade card. That means that not everyone will get an identical card. I guess I could have done that, but I thought this would be more personal. In general, there will be 2 similar cards made each time as that makes the most efficient use of my card stock and paper. I will try to tweak each of those so that they are not completely identical.
I made a couple last night, but I wasn't very happy with the way they turned out. The flowers on the paper are just too large and I should have used less of it. Also, I used Wild Cards for the phrase Thanks and it doesn't have a shadow feature so I just re-cut it the same size and offset them. I don't think they stand out enough. To me the card is kind of dull (despite the bright flowers), but I'm sure that others will like them.
The base card measured 6" x 5". I cut the solid orange paper at 5 3/4" x 4 3/4" and the print was made 1/4" smaller. I cut a solid strip 3/4" wide and 5 1/2" long and then added the ribbon to it. Thanks was cut at 3/4" with real dial size on. I used a white marker to add some stitches to the blue and to the orange strip. I cut a piece of light blue paper and a strip of the flowered paper for the inside of the card as the dark blue is too dark to write on.
I was more pleased with the cards that I did today. They are still really simple but they are 'happier' colours.
These are A2 size cards and the printed paper is from a cute little 6 x 6 pad that I picked up a Dollar Giant for $1.50. There are some really great little prints in it and I think I bought about 5 different little pads that day. The butterflies are a felt ribbon that I picked up in the sales bin at Michael's for $o.50. I picked up several different colours and some are flowers or stars. The girls love these ribbons and at that price I can afford to let them use them on their projects. The phrase was cut from Wild Cards and at 1 1/2" real dial on, I think. I'll start writing these numbers down as I make the cards. I still haven't figured out how to gauge what size things are going to be yet and so it's always trial and error. As you can see, I added a strip of the same paper inside the card and one of the little felt butterflies to finish them off. The yellow is light enough to write directly on the card. Please ignore the glue that you can still see since I took the photo before I had to clear off the dinner table. I need a craft room!!!!
I made envelopes for the A2 cards using Plantin Schoolbook shift key 48 at 5 1/2". For the larger cards, I just used envelopes that I already had. I'm undecided as to whether it is worth it to make envelopes except for special occasions as they use a whole sheet of paper. It is probably cheaper just to pick up card envelopes.
Whew! That's 4 down only 27 more to go!